Ayam Betutu Gilimanuk
- 1 whole village chicken (or spring chicken)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised
- 1 piece salam leaf
- 1 bunch cassava leaves, blanched
- 2 pieces lime leaves
- 1 bunch lemon basil
- 1 tablespoon fried shallot
- 1 knob turmeric
- 1 knob ginger
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- ¼ cup turmeric, peeled
- ½ cup galangal, peeled
- 1 knob ginger, peeled
- 8 pieces kencur
- 7 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 cup shallot, peeled
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- ½ cup small red chilli
- 2 pieces salam leaves
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Peel the ginger and turmeric and blend until fine paste. Season with salt.
- Rub marinade paste on the chicken, allow it to soak into the chicken for 1 hour.
- Place the chicken in the pan and cover with water.
- Turn on the heat, bring it to the boil, then turn the heat down to a medium and simmer for half an hour until the chicken is half cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, pound the rest of the paste until semi fine, add the oil in and stir until all mix through.
- Add the paste, salam leaf, lime leaf, bruised lemongrass and blanched cassava leaf, to the half cooked chicken with some extra chillies if you like it spicy.
- Simmer this for another hour. I like this dish the most when the meat is falling off the bone. Make sure while you cooking this, the stock doesn’t go dry as it best served a little soupy.
- Take the chicken out, place it on your plate with cassava leaves and pour the stock that left over onto the chicken and garnish with lemon basil, deep fried shallot and julienne lime leaf.
- This is also best serve with plecing kangkung and peanuts.
- 1 bunch kangkung, blanched
- ½ cup bumbu plecing
- 1 cup bean sprout, blanched
- 2 tablespoons peanut, fried
Bumbu Plecing Ingredients
- 1 ½ pieces red tomato
- 6 pieces big red chilli
- 10 pieces shallots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste, roasted
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup salad oil
- Balinese lime juice to taste (any lime will do)
- To make bumbu plecing, blend all bumbu plecing ingredients, except salad oil and Balinese lime juice, not too fine.
- Heat salad oil in the pan, then saute the blended bumbu plecing for around 20 minutes until the paste is soft and the oil has separated.
- In a mixing bowl, mix blanched kangkung, bean sprouts and fried peanuts with cooked bumbu plecing.
- Add some Balinese lime juice and salt to taste before serving.