Spice powder to marinate the lamb
- 1 tablespoon fennel
- 1 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom
- 1 tablespoon meat curry powder (Babas)
- ½ cup chilli powder
- 1 kg lamb shoulder, bone in and big cut
- 2 pieces or 1 cup onion, slice and blend into a paste
- 150 grams ginger garlic paste
- 6 pieces big green chilli, seeds intact, sliced and fine chopped
- 2 ½ cups onion, sliced
- 6 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 cups tomato puree blend
- ½ cup tin tomato paste
- ½ cup thick yoghurt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup fried onion
Ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup garlic
- 1 cup ginger with skin
- ¾ cup water
- Blend together into a paste.
Tomato puree blend
- 500 grams fresh, ripe tomatoes
- Blend the tomatoes with a little water, strain and bring to the boil. Cook for 20 minutes until the liquid reduces to a thick paste consistency.
Roti Jala Ingredients (Yield: 10 pieces)
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup fresh coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl and mix well with your hand.
- Transfer the dough in the bottle.
- Brush the frying pan with a little oil, then dry fry the dough forming a net until cooked and turn into golden color and the texture is soft.
Method of Lamb Curry
- Take fennel, black pepper, cumin seeds, cloves, green cardamom and dry roast the spice in the pan until fragrant.
- Pour the spices out and then grind together with chilli powder and meat curry powder.
- Strain the spices through a fine strainer and marinate the lamb with the spice powder, then allow to marinate in the fridge for an hour.
- Take a heavy base pan, pour in vegetable oil and heat the pan. When the oil is hot, add in the green chillies and saute until the colour changes. Then add in the onion paste.
- When water has evaporated, add in ginger garlic paste. Stir through for 10 minutes.
- Add in cinnamon stick and curry leaves. Once you hear the leaves crackles, then add in the marinated lamb.
- Cook the lamb for a further 10 minutes before adding in tomato paste.
- Make sure the paste is coating the meat and then add in the tomato puree.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes making sure then sauce has gone into the meat.
- Add in the yoghurt and evaporate milk then add in the chicken stock.
- Bring to the boil, season with salt and turn down to a gentle simmer for around 1 ½ (one and a half) hours.
- Serve with roti jala or steamed rice and garnish the curry with fried onion.