Quick Babi Guling
- Pork belly, skin on and scored
- Turmeric oil marinate (see pantry)
- 2 pieces salam leaves
- 1 piece lemongrass
- 1 cup bumbu gede (see pantry)
- 1 bunch cassava leaf, blanched in water with salt
- Oil for sautéing
- Sambal ulek green bean (see pantry)
Pork belly brine ingredients
- 1 litre water
- 200 grams salt
- 200 ml vinegar
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 tablespoon whole black pepper
- Cut 3 inches of the meat away from one side leaving just the skin so the pork belly is wrapped evenly.
- Brine the pork belly for about 3 hours.
- Heat some oil in a pan, sauté bumbu gede, lemongrass and salam leaves until fragrant.
- Keep to one side.
- Brush the scored pork belly skin with turmeric oil, leave it for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile chop blanched cassava leaves and place it in a bowl then add in the sautéed bumbu gede.
- Mix well and allow cooling.
- Flip pork belly to the meat side, sprinkle salt evenly and put cassava leaves mixture on the center of pork belly meat, then roll it and tie string over the pork belly roll.
- Place pork belly roll on the stainless tray and gradually cook in the oven for 20 minutes each temperature.
- First cook at temperature of 170˚C then 190˚C and last at 220˚C.
Turmeric Oil Marinate
- Turmeric, blended
- Mix all ingredients together.
- 1 cup galangal, peeled
- ¼ cup turmeric, peeled
- ¼ cup kencur, peeled
- ¼ cup ginger, peeled
- 3 pieces lemongrass
- 12 pieces small red chilli
- 1 cup shallot
- ¾ cup garlic, peeled
- 4 – 5 pieces candlenut
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp paste
- ½ tablespoon long pepper
- ½ teaspoon clove
- 2 tablespoons wewangen Balinese spices (2 teaspoons coriander seeds, 1 teaspoon black pepper seeds, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg)
- 2 pieces salam leaves
- Oil for frying
- Finely chop all ingredients except salam leaves or blend if not up to doing it traditional way.
- Then fry out the paste with oil and salam leaves until fragrant.
Sambal Ulek Green Bean
- 1 cup green bean, blanched in water with salt
- 2 pieces big red chilli
- 3 pieces small red chilli
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 pieces shallot
- Shrimp paste, roasted
- Roughly chop big red chilli, small red chilli, garlic and shallot.
- Heat some oil in a pan and sauté the chopped ingredients until cooked.
- Leave to one side and allow to cool.
- Once cooled down, blend it roughly and place in a bowl.
- Take some oil from sambal ulek and place it in a new pan.
- Heat it and once hot, add in 2 (two) tablespoons of sambal ulek and blanched green bean, stir through until well mixed.
1 – 1,5 hours