Sumba Style Grilled Snapper
- 1 snapper
- 1 cup raw marinade paste
- 1 cup cooked marinade paste
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 bunch lemon basil
- Sambal Sumba on the side (see pantry)
Raw marinade paste ingredients
- 5 knob turmeric, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- White pepper powder
Cooked marinade paste ingredients
- 2 big knobs ginger, peeled
- 1 big knob galangal, peeled
- 10 big knob turmeric, peeled
- 7 small knobs wild ginger (kencur)
- 8 cloves garlic
- 20 pieces shallot
- 6 pieces bird eye chillies
- 4 pieces red big chillies
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 pieces tomatoes, chopped
- 2 pieces candlenut
- 1 tablespoon white pepper seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- Prepare the cooked marinade paste first by pounding all ingredients except tomato in a mortar and pestle until to a smooth paste.
- In the sauce pan, heat cooking oil, add in the paste and sauté until cooked.
- Then add in chopped tomato and continue to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir continuously so it doesn’t stick at the bottom of the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Then prepare the raw marinade paste by pounding fresh turmeric, salt and fresh lime juice into a fine paste.
- Apply the raw paste on the snapper skin and sprinkle some salt and white pepper powder.
- Put some paste inside the snapper stomach as well to flavor the meat.
- Prepare your charcoal grill and make sure it’s hot and there are no yellow flames.
- Place your snapper in a wire mess and grill for 2 minutes on each side.
- Then brush the cooked marinade paste and lightly spread onto the fish.
- Put it back on the grill and cook for another 5 minutes, turn a couple of times.
- Take it off the grill when it’s cooked.
- Served with sambal Sumba.
- 6 pieces shallots
- 1 small bunch green shallot
- 20 pieces red bird eye chillies
- 2 pieces tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 1 piece fresh lime, juiced
- ½ cup cooking oil
- Pound shallot, green shallot, chillies, tomato and shrimp paste into a fine paste.
- Then heat cooking oil in the sauce pan, stir fry the paste until cooked then mix with lime juice.
- Ready to serve.