Sumba Yellow Chicken Curry
- 1 village chicken, cut into big pieces
- 1 cup green papaya, sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 2 pieces lime leaf
- Halved tomato, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- Hot chilli, bruised (as desired)
- ¼ cup / 50 grams cooking oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch white pepper powder
- 1 pinch sugar
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Halved red big chilli, sliced
- Fried shallot as garnish
Curry paste ingredients
- 2 pieces / 8 grams candlenut
- 4 pieces / 25 grams shallot
- 3 cloves / 18 grams garlic
- 2 cm / 18 grams ginger, peeled
- 3 cm / 25 grams galangal, peeled
- 2 cm/ 18 grams turmeric, peeled
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 piece / 22 grams red big chilli
- 2 pieces / 6 grams hot chilli
- 1 pinch / 2 grams white pepper
- 1 teaspoon / 8 grams salt
- Blend or pound the paste ingredients into a fine paste, set to one side.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan, then add in the curry paste and torn lime leaf, stir through until fragrant.
- Add in chopped tomato, stir through and add in chicken pieces, continue to stir through until the chicken is well coated with the paste.
- Add in green papaya slices, bruised lemongrass, bruised hot chilli and some water to almost cover the chicken and then season with a pinch of salt, white pepper powder and sugar.
- Stir through and cover the pan with the lid, simmer for 20 minutes.
- After that, add in coconut milk and red big chilli slices, cook through for another few minutes.
- Serve with some sprinkles of fried shallot.