Tuna Tataki with Green Papaya Salad and Sesame Dressing
- 600 grams tuna loin
- 2 tablespoons each fish sauce and mirin
- 1 tablespoon each sesame oil and soy sauce
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 160 grams green papaya (about ½ small), cut into julienne on a mandolin
- 200 grams red papaya (about ½ small), sliced
- 1 cup each of mint and coriander
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 50 grams brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 coriander seeds
- A pinch chilli flakes
- 75 ml lime juice
- 35 ml fish sauce
- 25 ml sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 25 grams toasted sesame seeds
- Place tuna in a small non-reactive dish.
- Combine fish sauce, mirin, sesame oil and soy in a bowl, whisk to combine then pour over kingfish and refrigerate, turning occasionally, for flavours to develop (4-6 hours).
- Meanwhile, for sesame dressing, pound sugar, cumin, coriander and chilli in a mortar and pestle until finely ground, whisk in remaining ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat a char-grill over medium heat, remove kingfish from marinade, pat dry with absorbent paper and grill, turning once, until golden and cooked rare (1-2 minutes each side), thickly slice across the grain, set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl, add dressing, toss and serve with kingfish.